Membership Types and General Requirements
Active Membership is limited to surgeons who are Fellows of the American College of Surgeons (ACS) or its international equivalent and of good professional standing, who have a major interest and devote significant portions of their practice or research to endocrine surgery, who are certified by the American Board of Surgery (ABS) or its equivalent in Canada (FRCSC), Central America, Mexico and South America.
Allied Specialist Membership is limited to physicians with similar interests and qualifications with American Board certification in their respective field or its equivalent in Canada, Central America, Mexico and South America. In addition, Allied Specialist membership shall be limited to Fellows of the American College of Surgeons, FACE, FACR, RACP, ACP etc. or their international equivalent. This membership is also open to Non-physician scientists, who have demonstrated interest and excellence in the field of endocrine surgery.
Corresponding Membership Shall consist of individuals who meet all the same qualifications an ACTIVE member, but is limited to surgeons with similar interests and qualifications with the equivalent of ABS certification and Fellowship in ACS in other countries. They shall have not voting privileges and are not eligible for election as offices, shall attend one (1) annual meeting and shall pay Dues as levied by the Council and approved by the membership.
Candidate Membership is limited to surgeons who have completed their surgical training and who are awaiting qualifications of Active membership. Candidate membership is limited to a period of no more than three (3) years following all continuous training to include residency and fellowship(s). A letter of sponsorship from an Active, Corresponding, Allied, or Senior AAES member will be sufficient to be considered as a Candidate member. Candidate members are strongly urged to attend the annual meeting but need not have attended a prior meeting. To apply, please complete the online application, with the exception of the Literature Contributions (although if you have a publication, you are welcome to submit it), Endocrine Surgical Procedures and FACS sections.
Resident/Fellow Membership is limited to individuals, who are currently training, either as surgical residents or fellows. Resident/Fellow membership is limited to the time that an individual is in a residency, research, or clinical fellowship training program. A letter of sponsorship from an Active, Corresponding, Allied or Senior AAES member will be sufficient to be considered as a Resident/Fellow member. Attendance at a prior meeting of the AAES is not required. Resident/Fellow members will become Candidate members upon completion of their training. To apply, please complete the online application, with the exception of the Literature Contributions (although if you have a publication, you are welcome to submit it, Endocrine Surgical Procedures and FACS sections.
Affiliate Provider: Affiliate Provider membership shall consist of nurse practitioners, physician assistant, nursing specialists other non-physician health care providers with certification in their respective fields in Canada, Central America, Mexico or South America. Affiliate Provider shall have evidence of having at least three (3) years in clinical practice, education and/or research in endocrine surgery, shall have been in practice within their specialty for a minimum of three years beyond training, and must have attended at least one (1) assembly of the AAES prior to their application for membership. A letter of sponsorship from an Active, Corresponding, Allied or Senior AAES member will be sufficient to be considered as an Affiliate Provider. Affiliated Providers shall pay dues as levied by the Council and approved by the membership, can serve on committees, do not have voting privileges, and are not eligible for election to office or Council. Affiliate Provider members will become members upon review of the membership committee and do not need to be voted on by the full membership. To apply, please complete the online application, with the exception of the Literature Contributions (although if you have a publication, you are welcome to submit it.), Endocrine Surgical Procedures and FACS sections
To Apply for AAES Membership:
- Review the current AAES Bylaws on this website to ensure that you meet the criteria.
- Identify and contact a Sponsor who is currently an Active, Senior, Corresponding or Allied AAES member.
- Complete the Online Membership Application and upload all required documentation.
Residents/Fellows, Candidates and Affiliate Providers are encouraged to apply online for membership at anytime! Applications for these categories are reviewed and processed on an ongoing basis. All submitted documents must be written in English.
ACTIVE, CORRESPONDING and ALLIED SPECIALIST membership applications are due by January 31, 2018 and must be provided in English. All required documentation must be submitted by this date. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted.
Required documentation should be in Microsoft Word or Adobe PDF format and includes:
- Bibliography / Curriculum Vitae (please limit your CV to no more than 10 pages.
- Literature Contribution - Reprint of your best contribution to endocrine surgery literature (note that an actual copy of your article is required).
- Brief summarized list of Endocrine Surgical Procedures performed during prior 24 months. (Not required for Candidate, Resident/Fellow and Affiliate Provider (Please download and use this template for submitting this list. Note that this list should not include assisted cases as a resident or fellow. Please list FNA biopsies separately, if included.) NOTE: This list must comply with patient privacy laws and should NOT include patient names or reference numbers.
- Sponsor Letter addressed to the AAES Membership Committee.
- Letters from (2) additional endorsers.
In addition, applicants should meet 2 of the following:
- Past peer-reviewed literature contribution in endocrine surgery diseases.
- Provided ≥1 outreach or CME talk on an endocrine surgery disease topic to hospital, referring providers and/or local community in the last 1 year.
- Attendance within the last 1 year at ≥1 annual meeting in another society that addresses endocrine surgery disease such as ATA, AACE, Endocrine Society, World Congress on Thyroid Cancer, SSO, LATS, or IAES. Submit CME documentation.
- Successful completion of CME course specific to endocrine surgery disease totaling ≥4 category 1 AMA credits (examples include ACS Thyroid and Parathyroid Ultrasound Course, AACE Diagnostic Endocrine Neck Ultrasound course, Masters Course in Endocrine Surgery, institutional thyroid/parathyroid symposiums, etc).
- Successful completion of AAES-accredited Endocrine Surgical Clinical Fellowship.
Complete applications received by January 31, 2018 will be reviewed by the Membership Committee and by AAES Council, and the names of applicants recommended for election to membership will be voted upon at the AAES 2018 Annual Business Meeting in Durham, NC. Applicants thusly elected to membership will be presented with certificates of AAES membership at the 2019 AAES Annual Meeting in Los Angeles, CA.
Membership applications must be submitted using the online application. Please upload all required documentation at the time of the submission. In order to ensure that your application is complete prior to the deadline, any additional materials not included in the online submission (i.e.: letters of endorsement, sponsor letter, etc) must be postmarked no later than January 31, 2018 to:
American Association of Endocrine Surgeons
100 Chesterfield Business Pkwy., Suite 200
Chesterfield, MO 63005
American Association of Endocrine Surgeons